CERTIFICATES OF CONFORMITY
A Certificate of Conformity (CoC) is a certificate issued by a vehicle manufacturer as evidence that a vehicle complies with type approval standards, including environmental and safety standards. A number of frequently asked questions have arisen about the CoC. Scroll down to read the answers to these, and where to go for further advice.
WHY DO I NEED A CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMITY?
• Exporting your vehicle abroad
• Returning to the UK with a vehicle previously registered in the UK
• Importing your vehicle from the Channel Islands or Northern Ireland
• Registering a vehicle for a Congestion Charge discount or residential permit
• Applying for a taxi or private hire driving licence or permit
• Provide evidence of the exhaust emissions standards of the vehicle
When applying for a taxi or private hire driving licence, it is the owner’s responsibility to confirm what documentation is required with the Public Carriage Office department of Transport for London. This could be either a CoC or a letter from the manufacturer confirming the Euro emissions standard of the vehicle.
We advise owners not to book an inspection with the PCO office until the necessary documents have been obtained.
TFL (Transport for London) ULEZ EXEMPTION:
• If you have used the TFL Vehicle Checker and your vehicle does not comply to the emissions standards set out by TFL, we are unable to provide you with a letter to confirm emission values.
• If your vehicle originated from outside of Europe (grey import) we are unable to provide you emissions data as the vehicle will not have met European standards and the data is not available to us.
The ULEZ standards are:
• Euro 4 (NOx) for petrol cars, vans, minibuses and other specialist vehicles
• Euro 6 (NOx and PM) for diesel cars, vans and minibuses and other specialist vehicles
Due to the high demand of enquiries, we cannot respond to requests if your vehicle is over 20 years old.
HOW MUCH DOES A CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMITY COST?
A CoC is provided to you free of charge when you purchase a new vehicle. This document will be located in the glove compartment of your new vehicle. If you purchase a used vehicle from an official Lexus Centre you will need to request a copy of the CoC if it has not already been passed on to you by the previous owner. Owners who do not meet the above criteria will be charged £75.00 (including VAT, administration costs and postage) to receive a CoC upon request.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMITY?
If you have not received your CoC you can request it through the Centre you purchased the vehicle from. Alternatively, you can request a CoC directly from Toyota (GB) PLC by referring to the Lexus Guidance Notes then download a CoC application form
You will need to provide proof that you are the vehicle’s registered keeper. A copy of the full V5C ‘log book’ document should be submitted as evidence (the tear-off New Keeper slip is not accepted). If you are not the registered keeper, you can provide an official purchase invoice that clearly states your full name, address and vehicle details.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO RECEIVE MY CERTIFICATE?
If you have a purchased a new vehicle your CoC will be contained within the glove compartment of your vehicle. If payment is required, the CoC will be dispatched between 5 to7 days after your payment via BACS has been received.
As the CoC is a legal document, it cannot be emailed and therefore will be posted to the address you have provided.
For further information and relevant application forms, please refer to the following web page Importing and Exporting.